Safety Action would like to extend a warm thank-you to the attendees at our recent Online Systems Forum. A special thank you to our speakers for helping to make the forum a success, Richard Dovison – Landmark, Andrew Douglas – M+K Lawyers, Ross Gibson – Target, Saffron Newton – ALDI and Damien Kook - Yarra Trams.
Some of the key takeaway messages included:
- Online inductions ensure consistent delivery and assessment.
- Online inductions and contractor firm pre-qualification provides a base level due diligence.
- Online inductions are not as effective as good face to face training, but better than bad face to face training.
- There are many challenges involved in managing workers and contractors over a large geographic area, particularly in regional townships where there may be a high level of familiarity between the staff member and the contractor, e.g. ‘just leave the keys and I’ll lock up, she’ll be right’.
- Training delivered without a set curriculum or standard can vary greatly when delivered by different managers with control over what and how they train their staff.
- Your company should have a set of key contractor management rules which may not be deviated from (16 and 9 point models were presented – please contact Safety Action for further information).
- You can’t “outsource the risk” - contractors still require monitoring.
Key slides from the forum are now available on the Safety Action website, www.safetyaction.com.au, “Latest News” tab, “What’s New”, for those who were unable to join us.
We hope to see you at our next information session on Wednesday 30th July 2014. Our friends from 3M will share information about PPE - you thought you knew it all! See page 5 for further details.