Safe Work Australia Month (safety month) is held around Australia every year in October. Safety month encourages people to get involved in and focus on safety in their workplace to reduce death, injury and disease. This year’s Safety Month theme is “Work Safe, Home Safe.” Here are some ideas on how to promote health and safety in your workplace this October.
Organise toolbox talks or presentations on safety topics relevant in your workplace such as:
- Safe chemical handling
- Preventing slips, trips and falls
- Lock out, tag out (LOTO)
- Workstation ergonomics
- How to be Sunsmart
- Correct use and maintenance of PPE
- Preventing bullying and harassment
Call Safety Action if you would like a specialist to host a presentation for you.
Spring clean the workplace. Call or email Safety Action for a free fact sheet on “5S Housekeeping.”
Health and wellness activities
Inspire your workplace to be a healthier one with a health or wellness activity such as:
- Providing fruit hampers in the tea rooms
- Ensure you canteen has healthy eating options
- Organise a yoga or pilates class or walking groups
- Introduce a stretching routine before starting physical work
- Invite a nutritionist to give a talk on eating healthy
- Organise staff health checks such as medical, fitness, eye or skin checks
- Host a talk about work life balance and stress reduction
Attend a safety event hosted by your state regulator
Work health and safety regulators in each state and territory hold a variety of events throughout October that you can attend. Find out more about work health and safety celebrations around Australia.
Become a Safety Ambassador
Join Safety Action’s Andrea Rowe and become a Safety Month Ambassador. A Safety Ambassador is a workplace representative who will take the lead and get your workplace involved in safety month. Registered Safety Ambassadors receive exclusive access to an online resource kit. Learn more about becoming a Safety Ambassador.