No matter how hard you try it’s impossible to identify every hazard. An example of this occurred recently when a chain of events led to a fire causing thousands of dollars of damage.
It was a beautiful sunny day in London and the rays shone through the window of a house in the south of the city, onto a crystal door knob and the refracted light then hit a bathrobe hanging in the bedroom. The robe caught light and the room was soon ablaze. The owners were out, but had a smoke alarm which alerted builders working nearby.
The London Fire Service has warned people against having crystal ornaments potentially in direct sunlight – another one to add to your risk assessment. RMIA enews 15 July 2014