The new Health and Safety at Work (HSW) Act 2015 has come into effect in New Zealand (NZ), as of 4th April 2016. This Act replaces the old Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992.
The new laws are in line with the harmonised Australian workplace safety laws, with some special requirements to suit local NZ circumstances.
The new legislation includes:
- HSW Act;
- HSW (General Risk and Workplace Management) Regulations;
- HSW (Worker Engagement, Participation and Representation) Regulations;
- HSW (Asbestos) Regulations; HSW (Adventure Activities) Regulations;
- HSW (Mining and Quarrying Operations) Regulations;
- HSW (Petroleum Exploration and Extraction) Regulations;
- HSW (Rates of Funding Levy) Regulations.
In addition WORKSAFE New Zealand has released a number of explanatory guides including:
- Introduction to the HSW Act 2015 – Special Guide, March 2016;
- Work Engagement and Representation Good Practice Guidelines, March 2016;
- Health and Safety Guide: Good Governance for Directors, March 2016;
- Plus various Fact Sheets on the new laws.
Safety Action has prepared checklists and briefings on the new NZ laws, so if interested call us to discuss your needs.